Thursday 10 December 2009

Mad About You

I love the shape of the heart - the heart shape, not so much the anatomical heart (though it is the center of our existence). I like the fullness of it, the symmetry, the intense colour it's usually filled with. Compare this to a girlfriend of mine who hates the shape of the heart. She thinks that it gives people a false expectation of what love is all about - she says "Love isn't perfect, so neither should the heart." She prefers anything but the perfect heart shape - skewed, elongated, incomplete, you name it and she'll take it over the full bodied red heart.

Each year Georg Jensen has a new heart addition to it's line. I've slowly come to recognise them - what I love is the fact that they're not all perfect but they each tell a good story of what love embodies.

I must say to some extent I do agree with her theory behind false expectations. Having grown up watching Disney fairy tales where Prince Charming comes riding along in a white horse and sweeps you away, real life relationships are everything but that. And though I do sometimes feel disappointed at this fact, I've become accustomed to the idea that no one is perfect and if you got something great going, it's worth holding on to.

Mad About You - now showing on Foxtel :)

So now that I'm on study leave, I've had the luxury of enjoying day time television during study breaks. One of my new favourites is not the new season of Gossip girl, but rather 'Mad About You' from the 90s. The couple fight, shout and talk over one another but at the end of the day they have this great connection. Their frustrations are real - common things Big Bear and I (and many others I'm sure) fuss about which makes the show something we can all relate to. I also love that they have this adorable dog who "isn't so bright" running around trying to catch an imaginary mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment